Sunday 16 May 2010

Super Monaco GP

As I said right at the start of the Blog in March, there will be some shameless plugs on Beyond the Launchpad. Today, the absolutely brilliant Digital coverage of Formula One on the BBC. I'm not sure if it's being transmitted in HD yet but the 'Red Button' option of today's race was fantastic! On my 1080p Samsung I had Picture in Picture when I switched to the onboard Car Race coverage, showing the actual footage chosen for 'normal' televison, whilst I rushed around Monaco on several of the cars, a choice of commentaries (I stayed with the TV commentary) and indication of the race at the bottom of the screen. An absolute dream. Monaco is a race of dreams but so too is Monza, home of the Italian Grand Prix, where I went to see my only F1 race in 2006 and that was a real good couple of days... This really is akin to being there though:



R. Kubica in Cruise Control: Picture Courtesy of BBC coverage, copyright 2010 Formula One Administration Limited.

The image is a demonstration of what Digital Television was surely made for. The BBC have really optimised the coverage here and I hope that this gets even better in the Future, with perhaps an option of vehicles to be in-car with as well?

I've been a huge fan of Formula One since I was 4 years old, when there were six wheel cars and Turbo-Charged engines, yet I've never had the desire to drive 'in real life', except maybe a Ferrari (how cool would that be?). Still, I'd be happy to be driven around New York City by a Blind Man, just to be in a moving Ferrrari...!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, to be in that flowing red temptress........